Target Minuend: Mastering Basic Subtraction Facts Program
Do you have students that need to master their basic subtraction facts? We have outlined a simple-to-use program using creative hands-on games through Learning Link videos to increase accuracy and speed for minuends up to 20. The goal of Learning Link by Connected Class is to create partnerships between the classroom and home environment. You can use the videos in the classroom and then send them home to families for additional practice with our easy-to-use platform. This program allows you to differentiate based on need and focus on specific minuends to increase math fluency.
The Target Minuend Program comes with all the forms, quizzes, answer sheets, and parent communication you need to be successful. (All resources are linked below in the Materials Provided section.) It is fast and easy for the busy educator to use and generally takes only 10 minutes a week of instructional time. It begins by giving students a pre-assessment inventory to determine the minuend each student needs to focus on first. You will determine the path each student will take and track their progress using the Mastering Subtraction Inventory Record Sheet. Every Monday the students will take a one-minute quiz (Form A) based on their individual needs and track their own progress. They will have a week to master that minuend by playing the Target Minuend Learning Link game at home with their family for at least five minutes a night. The parents will initial each week the amount of time their child played. On Friday, students will take the one-minute quiz (Form B) and track their performance. If they pass, the following week they will focus on the next target minuend. Once students have mastered minuends up to 20, they will take the post-assessment inventory and compare it to their pre-assessment. If they have obtained accuracy but their speed needs to increase, then there is an extension program outlined below with support forms and additional assessments. Students will earn a certificate once they master all their basic subtraction facts. This program length will vary in weeks needed based on individual student performance. This program can be embedded in your daily math block or center time. If you have accelerated students, challenge them with additional Learning Link videos at their academic level.
Below we mapped out the details of the program along with links to all the resources you will need. Note: We have provided the numbers 11 through 20 playing cards as a printable document for students to use.
Target Minuend: Video for this Program
Subtraction 0-20 Pre-Assessment Inventory (PDF)
Subtraction 0-20 Post-Assessment Inventory (PDF)
Printable Number 11-20 Playing Cards (PDF)
Mastering Subtraction Inventory Record Sheet (PDF)
Subtraction Facts Class Tracking Form (Excel)
My Subtraction Facts Progress Page (PDF)
Subtraction Fact Quizzes (PDF)
How to use the program:
- Give students the Subtraction 0-20 Pre-Assessment Inventory.
- Give each student as much time as they need to complete the test and record their time and score on the Mastering Subtraction Inventory Record Sheet.
Placing Students Based on Need
- Determine the minuend each student needs to begin with:
- For example, Student A was able to correctly subtract from minuends up to five, but you noticed they started getting subtraction facts incorrect when they started subtracting from six. That student would need to begin their individual mastery program with six as the minuend.
- For example, Student B mastered all the facts within the time you determined to be successful for your grade level. They are now ready for more advanced concepts in your curriculum. Check out other Learning Link Math videos to challenge these students.
- Once you have determined each student’s placement:
- Give the minuend quiz for the identified level to see how many they get correct in one minute.
- Have the student record the number of correct problems on the My Subtraction Facts Progress Page.
- Record your students’ performance on the Subtraction Facts Class Tracking Form.
- The first week you will send home the Target Minuend Parent Letter that explains the program and asks parents to play the Target Minuend Learning Link game with their child. You will also send home the Target Minuend At-Home Practice Sheet for recording the time spent playing each evening and the 11-20 playing cards. Parents will return the form with their signature each Friday.
- Ideally, students will play Target Minuend for at least five minutes at home each night.
- On Friday give students the posttest for their identified minuend. The quizzes are provided for you in the Teacher Resource section of Learning Link on Connected Class. If students pass, the following week, they will work on the next target minuend. If they don’t pass, they will repeat the same target minuend again.
- Identify the target minuend for the following week and list it on each student’s Target Minuend At-Home Practice Sheet.
- The ace will be used as a one for this game. Each target minuend has specific cards that must be used from the deck. You can combine decks to have more cards to use or just go through the pile multiple times. Here is the chart explaining which cards to use for each round:
- Repeat this process with each student until they master all the subtraction facts up to 20.
- Once they have mastered all the facts, then have them take the Subtraction 0-20 Post-Assessment Inventory to evaluate their speed. At this point, they should have 100% accuracy but may need additional practice to build their speed. You will determine the goal for the number of problems correct per minute based on your grade level. If students are struggling with speed, then have them go to the program extension below. If they mastered accuracy and speed, then award them with the Subtraction Mastery Certificate.
If you have students that have mastered the basic subtraction facts, have them play Subtraction War to gain additional speed. You can use the Subtraction Extension At-Home Practice Sheet to track the amount of time students are playing at home with their families. Use the Subtraction Extension Quizzes for additional assessment. Once the student reaches the predetermined goal, award them with the Subtraction Mastery Certificate.